Press Release, First Six Months Report of the Fiscal Year

Kabul, October 3, 2017 – Afghan civil servants are now younger and more educated.

Today, the Independent Administrative Reform and Civil Services Commission launches its first report-Aspects of Reform in Civil Service Sector—that presents evaluation of number of key performance indicators in public sector.

The report covers a period of six months of the fiscal year 1396.

The data presented are of 37 public administration institutions that were able to establish a monitoring and evaluation units. According to the findings, 84% of the employees recruited in the past six months are between 19 to 40 years of age whereas the remaining 16% is between 41 to 65. Moreover, the newly employed in grades 1-6 have educational levels between above-baccalaureate (lowest) to doctorate degree (the highest); most of them hold bachelor degree or above- baccalaureate. Employees with higher levels of education have been recruited in Kabul rather than provinces.

Most of the educated employees are recruited in Kabul, while most of the employees with lower levels of education have been recruited in provinces.

Nader Nadery, Chairman of the Commission said today “The recruitment of well-educated, well-trained and young people equipped with knowledge, skills, and familiar with culture, while benefiting from the wisdom and experiences of the elders will increase effectiveness of the civil services system and enhance the quality of the service delivery.”

The assessment finds that meetings the targets set for increased women recruitment continues to face challenges. Low participation of women in public sector is attributed to increasing insecurity, traditional structure of communities, lower educational opportunities, recruitment procedures and legal limitations in privileging women in recruitment process.

This study shows that, the currently used employee performance evaluation system is not effective at all; this system is turned to mere of a formality, very poorly implemented, providing inadequate evidence for majority ranked high in staff performance appraisal.

Speaking of the key role of proper performance appraisal in improved delivery of services to the public, Chairman Nadery said “employees’ performance evaluation is one of the most important means of accountability for staff. Senior officials often fail to take responsibility for conducting performance appraisals, and thus harm the effectiveness of the administration. As we go on the IARCSC will hold senior and midlevel managers accountable on this key responsibility”. The study provides overall information on the use of regular as well as development budgets, loss of cadre, internal and external recruitment, the handling of civil servants’ complaints and staff training. The report also offers recommendations to address the challenges identified.