The Provincial Relations Directorate was established as one of the directorates under the IARCSC Secretariat in 2004 to monitor and oversee the implementation of public service policies at the sub-national level. In 2008 its new structure was approved under the Civil Service Management General Directorate albeit with a limited staff and only in 7 regions (Balkh, Kunduz, Kabul, Nengarhar, Kandahar, Paktia and Herat) with the aim to cover the 34 provinces.
In 2011 it became a General Directorate and its structure was expanded with the establishment of Provincial Departments in 27 provinces and 290 staff members.
Considering the need in the provinces as well as the local civil service institutions, the Provincial Relations General Directorate in its current structure was established in 2014. It is responsible mainly to lead, implement, and monitor the implementation of Public Administration Reform goals and programs, implementation of civil service policies, and coordination with the Administration Reform implementation with other ministries and independent bodies as well as other institutions at national and international level.
Leading, managing, implementing, and monitoring effective implementation of Public Administration Reform programs to improve the local civil service institutions’ systems and providing improved and effective services in accordance with the overall strategic goals of IARSCS to ministries and other independent bodies at provincial and district levels is the organization’s goal.
- Implementation and development of Public Administration Reform programs to provide better services at provincial and district level;
- Design and implementation of support programs to improve efficiency of Public Administration Reform in provincial level;
- Leading, coordination and monitoring of IARCSC offices at subnational level;
- Monitoring the implementation of civil service policies in provinces;
- Coordination of Public Administration Reform with IARCSC stakeholders (Ministries, independent bodies, subnational offices of these ministries and independent bodies, Civil Society, Provincial Councils and national and insertional partners) in order to provide better services;
- Capacity building of civil servants at sub-national level through provincial training centres.