Terms of Reference (TOR)
Terms of Reference Development Expert
|Position Announcement Reference|
|Job Title||Terms of Reference Development Expert|
|Ministry / Agency||IARCSC|
|Report To||Lead Commissioner|
|Duration of Contract||6 Months (with option for extension based on need)|
The Independent Administrative Reform and Civil Service Commission (IARCSC) was established in 2002 as an independent budgetary unit in the government of Afghanistan charged with establishing and strengthening robust institutions of public administration, merit-based recruitment of civil servants, regulating civil servant’s affairs and training and professional development of civil servants. The Commission comprises an Independent Appointment Board and an Independent Appeals Board. The Civil Service Management department and the Afghanistan Civil Service Institute are the two other major departments in the Commission.
IARCSC’s mission is to lead the reform and professionalize civil service administration and management and to recruit and develop civil servants on the basis of merit, through an impartial, transparent and accountable process.
Tackling Afghanistan Government’s HRM and Institutional Reform (TAGHIR)
TAGHIR directly responds to the Afghanistan National Peace and Development Framework (ANPDF) – including its development priority on “Building a responsive and effective public administration system”.
The overall objective of TAGHIR is to strengthen the capacity of selected line ministries and agencies through merit-based recruitment of key positions, improved personnel management, and better HR planning.
TAGHIR is being co-financed by the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF) and the International Development Association (IDA) of the World Bank Group. The Independent Administrative Reform and Civil Service Commission (IARCSC) will implement the project on behalf of the GoIRA.
The ToR Development Expert will primarily be responsible for conducting holistic and in-depth research around the legal framework and statutory laws, development process, key factors and actors/stakeholders involved in the design and development process of creating clear and well-defined job descriptions for the Civil Services positions. The research shall lead to adaptation and adoption using evidence based practical solutions, review of existing challenges and bottlenecks, as well as proposing key recommendations or alternative ways to improve the quality of job descriptions with special focus on adopting relevant job roles and responsibilities, job specifications, competencies and skills in an ever-changing working environment and shall propose platform requirements based on proven practices as a result of research conducted.
The ToR Development Experts will plan his/her activities in close coordination with (Director General Civil Services Management Department), Structure Reform Director, Technical teams and relevant key stakeholders and actors in the Independent Administrative Reform Civil Service Commission.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
- Conduct in-depth research on relevant areas of Job Descriptions including the legal framework and statutory laws, key factors and actors/stakeholders involved in the design and development process of creating clear and defined job descriptions for civil services positions aimed at job description solutions;
- Produce targeted or thematic reports with specific proposals for applying methodologies approaches and propose technological platforms necessary to ensure production and processes are streamlined for high quality job descriptions to the technical team;
- Analyse and review different job descriptions in collaboration and coordination with relevant ministries and actors/stakeholders considering and factoring in national and sectoral strategic plans, identify bottlenecks and gaps, generate key finding and recommendations, use evidence based data and information to inform current and future reform plans such as “Cadre” and “Civil Service Benchmarking” systems.
- Develop the blueprint with recommendations for a future Civil Service Competencies Framework considering research findings and recommendations based on evidence from different actors and stakeholders;
- Develop a comprehensive list of educational fields and introduce necessary mechanisms to match them with job specifications and to keep the list up to date factoring in new degrees and programs;
- Produce a clear, concise and relevant guidelines-standards to be used in the civil services job description preparation and process framework;
- Produce a clear term of reference for possible software application, or propose other technological requirements in line with ever-changing working environment. The TOR document must include requirements using evidence based proven scientific practical approaches and methods and analyse data and information to be used by database developer in the design and development of TORs System factoring in current and future technological trends;
- Recommend proven approaches and methodologies to deal with resistance to change to the Civil Services Senior Leadership Team
- Collaborate and cooperate with Capacity Development Experts and conduct capacity development of lessons learnt, sharing best practices to transfer skills, experience and foster knowledge management. Conduct Coaching or Mentorship as appropriate and relevant to transfer skills, knowledge.
- Perform other assigned duties as may be required by the Line Manager and Director of TAGHIR.
EDUCATIONS AND SKILLS
- Master Degree in Human Resources Management, Change Management and Leadership, Organisational Development, Operations Research and Statistics, Economics, Business Administration or related fields;
- Master’s degree with 5 years and Bachelor’s degree with 7 years of work experience in human resources management, change management, organizational development, public sector reforms, structural or functional reviews, data and operations research involving innovation
- Knowledge and experience in public sector HRM reforms and proven scientific methodologies, approaches and practical solutions;
- Experience in applying data and operations research using hi-tech technology-oriented solutions;
- Experience working in a team-approach, collaborative and partnerships environments; and
- Experience in documenting lessons learnt, undertaking skills transfer and sharing evidenced based best practical solutions and knowledge management. Conducting Coaching or Mentorship an added advantage
- Knowledge of ICT and Systems Development, Data Science is an advantage for proposal of practical requirements to the technical team.
- Strong written and communication skills in English and local languages.
How to Apply
Interested applicants who meet minimum requirements for this post are requested to please send their applications with curriculum vitae to the following email address and clearly write the job title (Terms of Reference Development Expert) in the subject line of your application: